Sunday, October 03, 2004

PPCW - Common as the Common Woman

Within, around and throughout

pieces of myself, my story.

I have worked for Helen

And it could be said about me:

“Her grief expresses itself in fits of fury over details.”

Only we call it the “bitchy button.”

Like Ella, I have learned

unconsciously to “fend off the pass

that passes for affection.”

I’ve been the Nadine of my family, “holding things together.”

And in Carol, I am reminded

that living any lie is torture and telling the truth terrifying.

As a single woman, there is for me a sad truth in:

“She goes as far as a woman can go without protection from men.”

I am the reddest wine

Liquid flesh

One who, like Annie

Stays in motion.

Margaret is the me I am fighting

The woman counting calories,

wishing for and hating the pictures on the pages.

Mourning the abortion of my dreams of children with him.

Feeling blue about the edges.

Looking to the moon

I worry my life is broken bubbles

Seen flashing frozen in a slow strobe.

And Vera is a very special gift for me

The words I want to express almost elusive.

The complicated relationship I have to and with the

“bastard boss ‘I’…never let myself hate”

The work I do without pay.

Born with a mark in the middle of my forehead, my third eye

A spirit message meant for me this morning?

“For all the world we didn’t know we held in common.”


(Items in quotations are direct quotes from and the poem itself is inspired by the Common Woman Poems – Judy Grahn)

Inspiration & Artists Notes:

Upon much thought and reflection, I concluded that for me, the theme I most recognized throughout the work examined, is Identity. Judy Grahn's work: She Who, The Common Woman Poems, Queen of Wands, Queen of Swords, all have many layers, but identity is a strong common theme. Who the characters are: to themselves, in relation to or in the perceived opinion of society, to the author, to the reader, to the other characters, and how for some there are different roles for different places, are the essence of these writings. I found myself identifying with many aspects.

The Common Woman Poems had the most profound impact on me. I could relate to some part of each piece and suspect that most women could. Throughout my quest to survive a devastating loss, I began to define my own identity consciously, over the past few years. Perhaps that is why, the theme of identity was so apparent to me.

No comments: