Sunday, October 03, 2004

Overview: Inspiration for Poetry Prose & Creative Writing (PPCW)

My mother stayed home with me until I was 5, and taught me to write my name by 3. I don't know when I really began writing regularly, but I do recall an incident in 1st grade where the teacher told me that because I had chosen the same subject matter as my last story, it wasn't very creative. I didn't stop writing, but I immediately became terrified to share it with others. It is still a big challenge for me to put myself out there in the form of my chosen mediums, especially the written word, it is the most personal and thus the most dear.

I wrote poetry, prose, stories, song lyrics, journal entries, ad nauseum throughout my life. Mostly to keep myself sane. For the past 6 years, I have written very little until quite recently, and now I can hardly stop! The written work presented here is from 6 - 8 years ago, and it is sometimes painful to read my own thoughts from what feels like a long time ago now that time has placed distance between both the events and the emotions. That can be true of painting, drawing, sculpture and other artistic expressions also, but is often unmistakable in written work.

The written, the urge to somehow record and therefore also process that which we experience. We know from discoveries of the ancient that recording in written or symbolic form has been practiced by humans throughout time. Discoveries of the writings of Enheduanna, the Sumerian poet and High Priestess illustrate that we have used the written word throughout our existance.
Cave paintings, Egyptian art and writing, Minoan art and writing all illustrate the ancient desire to mark down the world around us.




Reference: Phaestos Disc, Minoan Crete Tablet - Image located on WWW

No comments: