Thursday, October 07, 2004

WCP - Conception


Watercolor - Approximately 8.5x11 - Prints for sale $15.00 each


Artists Notes:
I awoke one morning and truly felt reborn. Overnight, I had experienced a transformation. I painted this in only a few moments, sketching first in watercolor pencil and then painting in watercolor. Watercolor as the medium felt wholly appropriate as the painting feels very womb-like to me, and also representative in color and form of the sea. The moon, an egg, or bubble floating gently within something larger and more powerful, yet still protected. The joining and spiraling inside, representing the coming together of self, the birth of an idea, the beginning of new life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy this one. I find it interesting that while gender is determined by the man in conception, this illustration has a definitive feminine quality about it. The soft colors and sweeping lines seem to suggest the soft comfort that is given by a mother. Beautiful.