Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Singing Goddess


size: 3" (appx) material: sculpy - private collection not for sale

Inspiration:
This sculpture was inspired by a drawing of a figure I had seen and fell in love with in Marija Gimbutas’ book The Language of the Goddess. “Figure M, M signs also appear on figurines, particularly below the breasts, source of milk and nurture. This masked figurine also has M’s on her back and she wears a V-shaped necklace. Notice the butterflies, symbols of regeneration, beneath the M’s. - Italian Neolithic circa 5300 BC.[1] The symbols of M and butterfly indicate that this is likely a specific Goddess, with the characteristics of an important spiritual woman, a life-giver, a healer and a priestess. I discovered later, this figure can be traced back to the 6 millennium BC, and may be one of the earliest depictions of the butterfly.[2] This figurine called to me, I wanted to hold her in my own hands, so I decided to try to re-create her based on the photographs and notes from the books. To me, she looks like an ancient woman singing or chanting, communing with spirit. She is so simple, yet elegant and beautiful. I can only imagine what the original figurines creator must have felt as she was created, and guess at the reasons she was made. For me, the answer is simple, I feel an incredible sense of peace whenever I look at her, it makes me feel sacred, ancient, connected to all women throughout time. Picture her standing on a hill, on a full moon, basking in the light, standing in a circle of women that surround a bon-fire, singing with all of her soul.

[1] The Language of the Goddess, Marija Gimbutas - Figure 36, page 23 (Passo di Corvo, c5300 B.C.)
[2]
The Goddesses and Gods of Old Europe – Marija Gimbutas – page 186

No comments: